There are a variety of services that you can’t trust just anybody with. Whether you need car maintenance, a plumber, medical attention or even just a haircut, you don’t want to call on just anyone. You want to go to a professional with the experience and knowledge to get the job done right.
If the job doesn’t get done right, you can get stuck with the same issue all over again or develop even worse problems. HVAC installation and maintenance is one of these services where it is important to do research and hire the right HVAC contractor.
Why is Choosing the Right Contractor Important?
Choosing the right HVAC contractor is crucial. An HVAC system is an investment in your family’s comfort and one of the largest home investments you will make. The best way to take care of your HVAC system is by ensuring you have a professional who knows what they are doing taking care of it.
It can be tempting to choose the HVAC contractor with the best deal or lowest advertised price. While it seems like a good idea to save money, you may be sacrificing the quality of the work. If an HVAC contractor keeps their costs low by cutting corners in their workmanship, your HVAC system can end up experiencing the same issue all over again or it may develop even more issues. If this happens, you will likely end up needing more costly repairs and end up paying more anyway.
It is important to choose an HVAC contractor that will install or repair your HVAC system correctly the first time, so you don’t end up with ongoing issues.
Qualities to Look For
As you meet with your HVAC contractor, you can look for clues to determine if you can trust them to do quality work.
Signs of a Poor or Less Than Average HVAC Contractor
- Lack of communication with the customer.
- Low prices that seem too good to be true.
- Tries to sell parts you don’t need. (Not every HVAC contractor that says you need a part is lying, but it is something to watch out for.)
- Says they did work or repairs they didn’t actually do.
- Gives simple instantaneous solutions that seem too good to be true.
- Lack of care with their appearance and equipment.
- Has trouble answering questions.
- Is not licensed and insured to protect the customer.
- Comes prepared with all of the tools they need.
- Is respectful of your home and family.
- Is knowledgeable and can easily answer most of the questions you ask.
- Will sit down with the customer and ask questions to learn about their needs.
- Will be responsive to any communication from the customer and help to find the solution to any questions or concerns that arise.
- Completes a load calculation to find out exactly what size the HVAC system and other necessary equipment needs to be.
- Uses and installs the best brand equipment.
- Is licensed and insured to protect the customer.
How to Determine If They Are Reliable and Trustworthy
If your HVAC contractor tells you something you don’t understand or are unsure about, ask questions. If their answer makes sense to you, then you can give the contractor credit and likely trust them. However, if the contractor struggles to answer the question or seems like they are trying to deceive you, you will want to be more skeptical.
One topic you should ask questions about is the warranties, and specifically who registers them. A lot of companies do not register their products and then the customer ends up suffering. You should also learn what level of training your HVAC technician has. This can help you determine if the technician will do quality work or not.
Trust Your Gut Feelings
Many times, one of the best ways to protect yourself is just to trust your gut instincts. If you feel like the contractor is dancing around the truth or doesn’t know what they are talking about, those feelings are justified.
Get a Second Opinion
If you are still not sure what to do, get a second opinion. You can look at reviews online or ask for references. A good company should be able to provide quality service that will receive glowing reviews from their customers.
What Sets B&L Ott Apart
At B&L Ott in Reading, PA we strive for excellence by helping you achieve the best comfort, efficiency, and reliability for your HVAC system. 93% of all systems installed in the US, are not installed properly. B&L Ott makes sure you are in the 7% of homes with a proper installation. We do so by:
- Testing the equipment to verify efficiency, capacity, airflow and comfort settings.
- Performing a load calculation to determine proper system sizing and test the system’s operation after installation.
- Customizing the HVAC system to your home and your family’s needs.
At B&L Ott, our strength is in our staff. Everyone works together and does their part to make sure that your Berks County home is comfortable. We go above and beyond simply installing a box that blows hot and cold air. B&L Ott goes the extra mile to find the best options and solutions for your family. We take extra steps to ensure that the install is perfect and our customers are totally satisfied.