Are you looking to save money on your heating and cooling bills and maximize the comfort of your home environment? If you’re unsure where to start, a home energy audit is highly recommended for you.
Most Americans spend over $2,200 a year on energy costs. A home energy audit will simplify the process to help you save. This program consists of a custom evaluation of your home to help identify improvements for energy efficiency. Many customers can even receive rebates for taking part in their local program.
A home energy audit can be beneficial for older homes, newer homes, and those in between. Older homes may have equipment that is worn or outdated, whereas newer homes might not have efficient equipment and install techniques.
What Happens During a Home Energy Audit
- Evaluation of air leakage through windows and doors with a blower test
- Proper insulation check
- Inspection of heating and cooling system operations
- Inspection of appliances and lighting
- Possible installation of products such as LED bulbs, faucet aerators, and efficient showerheads
- Personal recommendation of tasks to complete for great efficiency
Your technician will then recommend some custom upgrades or repairs based on the quality of your home, such as: Sealing air ducts, sealing vents and registers, adding insulation, and installing new HVAC equipment. This information will come to you in a comprehensive report. Once you receive the recommendations, you can look into additional rebates such as: wall and attic insulation, HVAC equipment replacement, air and duct sealing, and ENERGY STAR window replacements.
When HVAC Equipment Upgrade is Needed
Even if you consistently keep up with repairs of your HVAC equipment, upgrades eventually become recommended. The risk of expensive repairs and problems increase as the equipment becomes outdated. Skilled technicians can recognize that you could save considerably on your monthly bills and experience a better home environment simply by upgrading to the newest technology.
After the initial investment, the right HVAC equipment upgrades will provide you with increased efficiency and lower energy costs for years to come. It’s best to consult with a technician when choosing the new equipment for your home. A local company like B&L Ott can offer personalized service to provide the best advice for your specific home and needs. We offer the following general advice when choosing upgrades for your HVAC equipment:
- When replacing a central air conditioner, make sure to replace both the outdoor component (condenser and compressor) and indoor component (evaporator coil) at the same time. Forgetting about half of this “split system” can actually result in lower efficiency or even equipment failure.
- Choose an ENERGY STAR certified central air conditioner and a contractor that follows ENERGY STAR Quality Installation Guidelines for the best in efficiency.
- Remember that bigger equipment does not always mean better operation. What’s more important than thinking big is choosing a properly sized unit for the needs of your individual home. The right fit for HVAC equipment is important for smooth operation.
- Make sure the equipment is properly installed by a knowledgeable HVAC technician. Equipment that is improperly installed can actually reduce system efficiency by up to 30 percent.
Contact B&L Ott if you live in or near Reading, PA. We can offer you comprehensive home energy audits, knowledgeable recommendations, quality products and installation, and information about local rebates. Contact us today to schedule service.